November 16, 2011

This might be the last.

I've had a lot of false lasts in my days here, so I don't try to claim anything as a definite last.  But I hope that this is my last email from the MTC.

So, last night we had a last class, here were my thoughts that I wrote down concerning these extra three weeks.

-  I read the whole Book of Mormon again, and 1-2 Nephi twice more.  I also have read the first half of the Doctrine and Covenants twice.  I've really enjoyed my time spent reading, and have learned a lot from it.

-  I spent over a day and a half in the temple.  That really was a boost.  I read Mark and most of John in that time.  I also got some "unspeakable insights."  Maybe one day I'll figure out how to word them so I can write them down.  Really, they just were a better perspective on life.

-  Me and Elder Staten spent three hours strait teaching in the TRC.  We got to teach an investigator with his parents, then a return appointment with his parents that had an unexpected friend, then three short first lessons.  The only person I'd ever seen before was our investigator.  It was way neat to teach so much, and it was much better because of the situation.  Our lessons went really well, and were really unified.  Later in class, we taught an investigator for a half hour, and our teacher for 20-30 minutes. 

-  Our district is much closer.

-  We were able to get to know the new Thai district and help them their first couple weeks.

-  Exercise our faith in God.  We had to trust in him and follow his will.

-  We got to have another class with all of our Thai teachers.  That was really cool.

-  Practice and cement many of the things we learned here.

-  I got special permission to watch "Fires of Faith," the show BYU put out on the King James Translation.  I really enjoyed watching it.

-  It is a miniature enduring to the end.  Like life, crazy things would happen.  We don't know when we'll leave, but we just have to keep becoming better until that day comes (current plan is tomorrow).

-  We really had to be a positive example.  A lot of people respect and look up to us for being here so long.  In turn, we have to be those optimistic people they see us as.  I feel that we've done a fine job of staying positive.

So, I recognize that this isn't a regular email, but I think that it does a good job of showing what I've been up to for a while now.

I've been working on being able to completely understand 2 Nephi 31 in Thai.  Every last word.  The scriptures are written in a different level of Thai, not the normal everyday stuff, so I've learned a lot of words.  I hope I can do the same with other scriptures so that I can effectively use scriptures in Thai.  It's one thing to find a scripture, know the gist of what it's saying, it's another to be able to explain the hard words in Thai.  The scriptures are so important, they are largely the reason I am learning how to read. 

If the scriptures are the word of God, then when we pray and seek for an answer, we need to do what the scriptures say - ask and seek (see Luke 11:9).  Then we will be heard, and in turn, hear God speaking back.  If the Scriptures are the Word of God, then God will speak to us as we seek Him in our reading.  I love Alma  37:37-45, because the scriptures are our source of guidance in this world.  The Israelites spent forty years in the wilderness.  In that journey, the LORD miraculously provided food for them. At the end of the Israelite's forty year journey in the wilderness, Moses says to the Israelites "And he [the LORD] humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live."

Everyone needs the scriptures.  Don't ever let a day pass by without reading.

Have a great week!

Elder Robert Buss



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment