July 23, 2012

Dialects


July 16, 2012

Yeah, I can't speak the dialect at all.  Just a couple dozen words.  And it's not really written, unless you go all out and learn Lao directly. Learning it is a bit tricky.  Fortunately people speak Thai.  Some of the younger generation doesn't speak it, because Thai is all they use in school.  They still understand it, but can't hold up a conversation in it.  On the other end, some old people can't speak Thai, but can largely
understand it spoken.  They are closely related.  The grammar is all the same, but a lot of the words and the accent are very different.  It's not necessary to learn the dialect, but I think it is worth a bit of effort to learn some.

Being senior companion is odd.  I've forgotten a couple times and we lost some time because I'm used to letting my companion do some things.  I have to always be the one to take initiative.  I'm fine with the language.  Lopburi was good on me, I just talked a lot with everyone.  I really missed the branch this last Sunday.  However, that is where the language practice of writing letters comes in.  It's really slow, but hey, I've not got mail in over a month, so maybe this will get me some.  Plus it really is helpful in learning the language to write.  I feel like I'm to a point where it is worth the time to write.  I've sent off one letter to a recent convert, and have a couple others part way through.  And, I really do love the people. If I didn't, I wouldn't be motivated to write them.  Lots of good people.

So life is good.  I've got a lot to learn and a lot to do.  At least I love doing it all!

Love you!

Elder Robert Buss

No comments:

Post a Comment