July 5, 2012


The threesome is still in force, we'll finally all split ways Thursday.  Having three people has some benefits.  We have done switch-offs with members a number of times.  We have yet to do the door to door gang.  Too many other things to do.  Time has really flown by.  I'll be with a new companion for sure.   And I'll upgrade my mattress in the middle of the floor to a bed and desk!

We got a few very busy days in my area, which was nice.  I think I'll still be in Lopburi after this moves, but I'm not sure. 

So, about my title.  I feel like I have gained a super-power that rivals even "the boots of butt-kicking."  I have immunity to monkeys.  Last Monday, while I was riding on my loaned bike that is too small, though puddles in Ayuttha at night, we ran into a problem.  First, I can't bike as fast as the other elders.  Second, a few dogs jumped us.  Being last in the missionary pack, I got the dog pack for companions.  I put my legs onto the opposite side of the bike, but I wasn't going fast enough to coast to safety. So I jumped up onto both pedals and few out of there, kicking the dog as I put my leg down.  Being clever, he also bit me, and now I'm two out of five for rabies shots, and I have a few new medical terms in my vocabulary.  I look on the positive side of things.  I'm now immune to monkeys.  And shots, because they don't bother me at all.  The trick is having them inject the serum slowly.  Faster is not better at all.  It's the source of the ache.  The last round I basically ran into the hospital, got the the room, pause while they get the shot ready, stab, throw some money at a desk, and keep on running along.  At least the days I have to go in coincide with the days I'm in my area (unless I move).

We met President Senior last night.  Pretty cool.  His hair is like my Economics Professor's, and he's pretty cool.  Hey, he talked about Beethoven and Mega-pixels.  And he blew all of us away with his testimony in Thai.  Clearly six weeks of personal tutoring that (I think) he got from some members is better than twelve weeks that we get at the MTC.  Or he practiced up a testimony.  Either way, it was impressive.  One of my friends, now AP, tipped me off that he likes the Old Testament.  This is a very good thing.  I really look forwards to working with him.

This last week I've started "Project Mormon."  Actually, I just made that up.  However, I have started an abridgment process.  I have lots of material in my study journal, so I'm starting at the beginning and editing the whole thing with my perspective on what actually has value later on.  It's been really fun, and I have (re-) learned a lot. As well as found a lot of less-valuable things.  If we don't learn from our past, what's the point of past learning?

Elder Buss

No comments:

Post a Comment