September 23, 2012

Texting

Monday, September 17, 2012

Over time I've come to feel that the work here is not that different than how it must be in the States.  But then again, maybe it's just a fading memory.  I don't know. I feel like that's why people get so excited to return - memory fades, and so home becomes an idealized world that is really appealing.

I have no idea what I dreamed of last night.  Maybe a spaceship.  Whatever it was, I just felt like reading, listening to music, surfing the web, hiking or some other normal hobby of mine.  Instead we went to the supermarket.  Elder Wood loves it so much.  I was so sick of it basically from the start.  Stupid dream.  I've been in a bad mood all day.

I think P-Day is my least favorite day.  Just a bunch of errands, then sitting around.  I'm so sick of it already.  I wish we just ran errands whenever was convenient, that way we didn't have to put everything off to form one day.  Most people in the mission seem to come to the same conclusion.  That's why we find fun things to do.  Which for my child is the supermarket.  I suggested monkeys.  Maybe I'm just grumpy because I would rather just sit around and read for a few hours.  Hey, today I did study all about the symbolism of Rosh HaShana - the Jewish new year.  That was fun.  It's such a wonderful holiday.  We're into the holiday season for sure.  Other than that I've been pretty un-pleased with today.  Yeah.  Rosh HaShana.  The only good thing about today.  Really, it's just a bad attitude.  Once we start sitting around the house I'll find some sort of amusing distraction.  I remember celebrating last year in the MTC.  That was fun.

We now are authorized to text investigators.  With 50 texts/mo it will be really practical.  That was cool to get a text allowing texting.  I'm sure a lot of rules will pop up as missionaries misuse it.

It's ironic that the work that seems to be the most rewarding is with the members.  It makes me rethink what being a missionary is, and what point there is to it all.  After all, if members are the key, why not just be a member?  I'm sure I'll figure it out when I miss being a missionary.  This last week we only taught less actives, recent converts, or lessons with a member present.  It's not even that hard, at the same time it's a lot harder. I guess it's just different.  This week we had a lot of people skip on church, which was pretty disappointing.  With increased work, we had less people come to church.

We fasted for our investigator, บู้ง, so that she will be baptized with her daughter, Ping-Pong.  I look forwards towards seeing that soon.

This is a really mission-reflective letter, which is bad, since I'm not that pleased with the present moment, which makes the whole email have a melancholy tone.  Ironically I was really excited to email.

Well, that's all.  It was a good week.  Lots of reading the Bible and the recent general conference.  Not sure why G-d wants me to do so, but I'm happy to oblige.

Elder Buss

No comments:

Post a Comment